Transfer Credits Accepted
Create Solutions to Environmental Issues
Turn your passion for the environment into a rewarding career with a degree from the University of West Alabama. Available both on campus and online, each program offers courses focused on innovative methods for protecting the earth’s natural resources, plus personalized instruction from educators with real-world experience in environmental science and conservation. Choose from the BA/BS in Environmental Science and the Master of Science in Conservation Biology and take the next step in your career.
Whether you learn on campus or online, you’ll receive expert instruction from top educators and gain essential critical thinking and communication skills to apply in your career immediately. You’ll also benefit from affordable tuition, an accredited curriculum and an institution driven by success.
- $63,760 median annual salary for conservation scientists1
- $76,530 median annual salary for environmental scientists2
- More than 98,000 new jobs to be created for life, social and physical science professionals by 20313
Explore Our Programs
4 Years; 120 Credit Hours
Explore the rich biological diversity of plant and animal life through hands-on experiential learning opportunities. You may also earn a dual degree in forestry or wildlife with this major.
4 Years; 120 Credit Hours
Explore the biological, chemical and physical sciences to prepare for rewarding careers that create solutions to diverse environmental problems. A conservation enterprises track is also available.
4 Years; 120 Credit Hours
This program will prepare you to create solutions to diverse environmental problems. Through online classes taught by industry experts, you’ll explore the biological, chemical and physical sciences. A conservation enterprises track is also available.
1-2 Years; 36 Credit Hours
Develop an understanding of biodiversity and natural ecosystems, the conservation of natural resources and how human activities impact the planet with the online master’s in conservation biology.
Your UWA Experience
Because your education includes much more than going to class.
Over 1,320 enrolled undergraduate students*
Nearly 60 undergraduate programs
There are countless opportunities to become part of something great at UWA, and the more involved you become, the richer your college experience will be. From service organizations and Greek life to honor societies and social clubs, our beautiful, 600-acre campus has something for everyone.
*In fall 2021 online and on campus enrollment
- Over 60 clubs and student organizations
- Various study abroad opportunities
- UWA is recognized as one of the safest campuses in the nation
- Championship NCAA Division II athletics
- One of the lowest tuition rates in Alabama
An academic experience that meets you where you are.
Over 3,500 enrolled online students
Over 70 online programs
Whether you live outside of Alabama, have full-time professional responsibilities or have personal commitments that make it difficult to attend class on campus, you can still achieve your goals with an accredited online degree from UWA. As an online student, you’ll receive the same benefits offered on campus, including career and academic support services, competitively low tuition rates and instruction from industry-experienced faculty. Learning online means you can access course materials from the time and place of your choice and complete your degree at a pace that works for your schedule.
- Access course materials from anywhere at any time
- Taught by the same distinguished faculty who teach on campus
- Interactive learning platform
- Supportive academic advisors and guidance from Career Services
The University of West Alabama is located in the heart of Livingston on the Mississippi border of the state and offers career-focused academic programs on campus and online to students worldwide. Our beautiful 600-acre campus is recognized as one of the safest in the nation and has nature trails along with a 54-acre lake that’s stocked for fishing.
Gain Career-Ready Skills to Impact the Globe
From improving the quality of drinking water to developing solutions for air pollution, environmental science professionals make substantial impacts. The University of West Alabama is committed to preparing the next generation of conservation experts with hands-on learning opportunities, personalized instruction and quality education programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
7 Growing Environmental Science Occupations3
- Agricultural science technician
- Agricultural scientist
- Conservation scientist
- Environmental scientist
Get StartedCampus Programs ► Online Programs ►
- “Conservation Scientists and Foresters.” Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved Jan. 11, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov.
- “Environmental Scientists and Specialists.” Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved Jan. 11, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov.
- “Life, Physical, and Social Science Occupations.” Bureau of Labor Statistics. Retrieved Oct. 28, 2022, from https://www.bls.gov.